The early ’40s were marked by the absence of Loughinisland with local players turning out for Drumnaconnor and Magheralone. However, the autumn of 1943 saw the birth of “The Bishop’s Team”. It would be fair to say that Bobby “The Bishop” Madine played a key role in running the club by managing and captaining the team, playing, arranging transport, looking after the social side of the affairs and bringing in new talent. He was ably assisted by Hugh O’Toole (Senior) and Pat Murdock and aided by Mason, McNamaras and O’Toole from the old guard.
The Bishop’s team was composed of local lads such as the Madines, MacNamaras, McCaffreys, Laverys, Keenan, Trainor and McLeigh and ably supported by two gifted footballers in Noel McCarthy and Dan Lavery. Their time with Loughinisland was short but their memories live on with those who witnessed them play. Both played for the red and black with Noel winning Down’s first All-Ireland title in the 1946 Junior football final. Both players went on to have successful soccer careers. By 1947 Loughinisland had disbanded again but not before they had all played football on a frozen Loughinisland Lake in January 1945 during “The Big Freeze”.
Following the demise of the club several of the players turned out for the Ballynahinch club at minor and senior level. Loughinisland were also participating in camogie at this time and Ballykilbeg had a team for a short period.
By 1949, GAA was on the up again in the parish with Mick McCabe’s schoolboys team taking to the field wearing green jerseys with white sleeves. This team was to provide the backbone of successful teams of the next decade.